Skip to main content

When We Bring Them Home, We Make a Promise

By Alejandro E. Trimper

Important note: I am not a veterinarian or a pet nutritionist. This essay is our personal experience with our own animals, not medical advice. Please talk to your vet before changing any animal's diet, especially if they have an existing condition or are very young, very old, pregnant, nursing, or on medication.

Let me ruin the ending in a useful way, as I so often like to do. This piece eventually gets to a freeze-dried raw food brand called Midwest Legacy Beef, and here is the discount code TG10. If that is all you came for, you have it. If you are here for the story, and I hope you are, let's get comfortable.

Because this is not where the story starts. It starts with a cat who was not supposed to live and a dog who decided my husband was worth keeping. It runs through years of expensive bags, good intentions, two unraveling endings, and one promise made in a kitchen at one in the morning. It is about food. It is also about the promise we make when we let something with four legs and no vote walk into our home. I will pay attention. I will do better than the bare minimum. I will not feed you like a logistics problem.

Before Bentley and Frida, there were Milagro and Tristan

Milagro came first. She was a feral street kitten I found abandoned outside my apartment on 118th Street in Spanish Harlem. Maybe four weeks old, riddled with disease, and not expected to live, which is the kind of medical opinion she then spent almost eighteen years personally disproving. I bottle-fed her through the part of her life where everyone else had already given up. She was my little miracle, which is exactly what her name means, and she knew she was multi-generational street royalty. I have never been loved by a cat the way Milagro loved me, and I have not been since.

Then came Tristan. He was, in a way, part of how Kyle and I became Kyle and I. He was relentless about spending time with Kyle and greeting him every day at the door when he came home, whether Kyle wanted it or not. He refused to accept the guarded version he was being offered, and slowly, patiently, over time, he wore all the walls down. He was, frankly, our couples counselor in fur, and his fee was a belly rub and long walks.

We lost Milagro in the winter of 2022, and Tristan followed shortly after February 16th, 2023. Two long, well-loved lives by any measure that matters. The end, though, was not gentle. Between the two of them, we walked through disease, inflammation, tumors, enlarged lymph nodes, major dental issues, seizures, and a whole stack of chronic conditions that arrived earlier than they should have and stayed until the end.

Here is the part I cannot make softer. Our veterinarians kept gently circling back to the same theme. So much of what those two were carrying was tied directly to what had been in their bowls for years. Not the only factor, because life is not that tidy, but a big one. And when you hear that after years of doing what you thought was right, the guilt does not arrive politely. It helps itself to your wine.

We had not been careless. We had tried what the responsible pet-owner internet told us to try. Different brands. Fewer ingredients. Limited-ingredient formulas. Near the end, we were home-cooking meals like a line cook with a clipboard. In all those years, not one professional ever sat us down and said, in plain English, that the bowl itself deserved a harder look. Not one person talked to us seriously about raw feeding, or even about getting closer to the food these animals were actually built to eat. As far as the industry was concerned, that conversation did not exist.

We were not buying mystery nuggets from the bottom shelf of a gas station either. We were buying famous brands in big, beautiful bags, the kind of packaging that makes you feel responsible at checkout because the price tag carries the emotional weight of private-school tuition. The industry had trained us to confuse expensive with better and premium with meaningful. A glossy bag is not transparency. A long ingredient list dressed up in wellness language is still a long ingredient list with better lighting.

Eventually, I stopped pretending the pet-food aisle was morally separate from the human-food aisle at the grocery store. We have watched human food get engineered for shelf life and profit, then watched the health industry line up to manage the fallout. Why would the pet version of that machine suddenly grow a conscience because there is a golden retriever on the bag? That is not a conspiracy theory. That is an incentive structure with a mascot.

First came Frida, and a few months later, Bentley

Bentley and Frida are the chapter where we got to apply what Milagro and Tristan taught us. Not a do-over, because nothing is a do-over with animals you have loved, just a chance to show up a little better, a little more informed.

Frida came first, and it is all Kyle's mom's fault, which is how many excellent family stories begin. She is, by every available metric, a cat. She approaches food unlike any other cat I have ever had before, suspiciously, personally, and with the absolute belief that everyone in the room is trying to deceive her. She is Miss Independent in public and entirely Kyle's shadow in private. She picked her person, that person is not me, and I have accepted my supporting role with grace, mostly.

A few months later came Bentley, and with a lot of drama that should have been all the warning we needed for what was coming. I knew we were adopting a puppy after Tristan died because I do not like life without a puppy, I need the companionship and, yes, even the emotional support a dog provides. I just needed to figure out how to convince Kyle. What we did not know was that we were adopting a walking allergy seminar with eyes, floppy ears, and an oversized tongue. Bentley is allergic in layers, to things I had never even heard of: food, environmental, and whatever category exists between why is this happening and of course this is happening. His body does not file quiet objections. Bentley's body serves papers. He is also one of the most affectionate creatures I have ever lived with, a full-body hugger with no concept of personal space, in the best possible way. He comes to work with me every single day because I need him just as much as he needs me, and my staff loves him as if he were their own.

Between the two of them, we had a problem and a tribunal over food. Limited ingredients went from being a preference to a requirement. Transparency stopped being nice and became non-negotiable. The closer we got to real food, real meat, and real organs, the fewer questions their bodies seemed to have for us, if only for a moment. Dogs are not wolves. I am not going to argue that. But they are also not built, in my opinion, to have overcooked, extruded pellets at the center of every meal for an entire life. Cats are even less ambiguous: obligate carnivores, built to extract nutrients from animal tissue, not to spend a life on carbohydrate nuggets because that is what is convenient for us.

What we tried, and why most of it did not work

You already know which brand we settled on, but before I get there, I want to be honest about what we went through. Dozens of brands over the decades, and real money. Brands friends swore by, foods the internet ranked as the best of whatever year it was, long conversations with pet-store clerks from Brooklyn to Westport, and brand after brand they insisted we try. Some lasted a week. Some lasted a few months. In the end, each presented its own laundry list of issues with all the animals in this story.

Some were beautifully marketed and inconsistently formulated. One bag would be great. The next one, ostensibly the same product, smelled different, looked different, elicited a different reaction in the dog, and the cat would not even touch it. That is not a recipe. That is not even potluck. Potluck has more accountability. Some had short ingredient lists on paper and a much longer story in the Certificate of Analysis, if they bothered to provide one. If a pet food company will not show you a current Certificate of Analysis when you ask, that tells you something. Not necessarily that the food is bad. But definitely, the relationship between the company and the buyer is one-way, and the buyer is on the wrong side of it. So is the pet.

Some brands shipped poorly. Bags arrived warm, damaged, or late. Subscriptions lapsed without warning. Customer service responded in marketing copy, which is soothing if you are a brochure and less soothing if you are standing in the kitchen with no usable food. Some brands worked for Bentley but not for Frida, or for Frida but not for Bentley, which sounds like a small problem until you are running two feeding routines for two species in one kitchen. And almost all of them, even the brands marketed as raw, fresh, or minimally processed, came back to the same issue when I read the label honestly: something was always in there that did not need to be. A binder. A preservative. A starch. A natural flavor. A natural-sounding ingredient doing the job of a filler. Pea protein bulking up the protein percentage so the label could quote a number that flattered the bag. We were spending more money than I care to admit and getting a more polished version of the same problem.

The thing about cooked, said plainly

Let me say this in the middle of the piece, because it gets lost in the wellness fog, and it is one of the most important things you're going to read.

Slow-cooked, gently cooked, lovingly cooked, kettle-cooked, oven-baked, kibbled, or any other new-fangled terminology for cooked commercial pet food sitting on a shelf for twelve to eighteen months is not staying stable because of love or fresh ingredients. It is staying stable because of formulation, processing, packaging, preservatives, stabilizers, moisture control, and an entire fleet of decisions made to ensure the product survives the trip from the factory to your pet's bowl. Sometimes that means tocopherols. Sometimes it means BHA, BHT, ethoxyquin, propylene glycol, palatants, colorants, texturizers, binders, and whatever the marketing team is calling natural flavor this season. I am not saying every approved ingredient is dangerous. I am saying there is a difference between legal compliance and the food I want at the foundation of my animals' health and life.

The problem is not that every company is evil. It is the industrial logic underneath all of it. The system is built for shelf life, transport, warehouse life, retail display, margin, and repeat purchasing. Whether the food helps the individual animal thrive becomes, too often, a secondary question dressed up in premium fonts. That is the part that made me stop being polite about it. The same pet economy can sell the everyday food, manage the chronic symptoms, sell the prescription version, and send a reminder email for the refill. I am grateful for good veterinarians. I am not grateful for an industry structure that profits whether the animal thrives or simply limps along. Cooked, shelf-stable, heavily processed pet food is a logistics solution. It solves problems for manufacturers, distributors, retailers, and human convenience. In our experience, it did not solve the problems showing up in the bowl.

Why freeze-dried raw became the bridge

I respect people who feed frozen raw or refrigerated raw and do it beautifully. I also know myself and our lifestyle. I did not want a second freezer (nor do we have the space for it), which would end up looking like evidence from a cattle-related investigation, or a thawing schedule that required more project management than some of my gallery installations. Freeze-dried raw gave us the ingredient philosophy we wanted with a routine we could actually maintain: short-term shelf-stable, lightweight, easy to portion, and the option to rehydrate or not, and no panic-thawing at 6:47 a.m. because someone forgot dinner. The format itself changed our lives, and I do not say that lightly.

We hike, we camp, we spend weekends in tiny homes and on the road. Traditional raw was never going to fit any of that, not without coolers, ice, and the kind of food-safety math that ruins a vacation before it starts. Freeze-dried raw just goes with us. It rehydrates in warm water, and dinner is dinner, the same dinner we would have served at home. For a household that does not stay put, this has been a quiet, enormous relief.

What we finally found, almost by accident

After all of that, as I said at the opening of all this, we landed on Midwest Legacy Beef freeze-dried raw almost by accident, and I refuse to dress that up into a more cinematic origin story than it deserves. No influencer convinced us. No vet handed us a brochure. No algorithm whispered into my ear. We had been ruling things out for so long, and I stumbled across the brand by accident; it's not even in the top 10 in Google search results, so we tried it, expecting to be disappointed. We were not. It worked. We tried it again. It worked again. A month, three, six, ten. The food was consistent. The bags were consistent. The sourcing was consistent. Customer service responded in actual sentences. For the first time in a long time, we stopped looking, which, after what seemed a lifetime of failures, felt like its own miracle.

Here is the part I still find quietly remarkable. Earlier in Bentley's life, two veterinarians independently told us he would not be able to live without ongoing allergy medication. They were not careless or unkind. They were working with the playbook they had been trained in, and it said medication indefinitely. As of this writing, Bentley is not on any allergy medication. His skin has calmed, his coat has come back, and the reactivity that used to define him has quieted down to the occasional offended look at a vacuum cleaner. That is our experience, not a universal claim. I say it with gratitude, not as advice. Frida is thriving in her own way, loudly and on her terms. Labwork on both of them comes back clean. Our vets are comfortable with what they are seeing, which is the relationship I want with a veterinarian: curious about results, willing to update, not married to the first prescription pad they pulled out.

The practical reason the brand made sense on paper, before months of evidence confirmed it, is simple: their formulas are short and the percentages are published. Their Freeze Dry Legacy BLT + Bone lists 68 percent beef, 10 percent ground bone, 10 percent washed fatty green tripe, 5 percent liver, 5 percent spleen and kidney, and 2 percent heart. That is the kind of label I want. Not poetry. Percentages. I have nothing against poetry. I simply do not want it doing the job of an ingredient label.

We order ten pounds every twenty days for Bentley and Frida combined. That has become the rhythm. Not too much, not too little, not some apocalyptic bunker of pet food that makes us feel prepared for the end times but mildly concerned about our storage decisions. The food moves. The routine is manageable.

One inconvenient note. Raw is still raw. Freeze-drying removes moisture. It does not reliably kill microbes, and the FDA notes that raw pet foods can carry pathogens like Salmonella and Listeria. We wash bowls, wash hands, and store it correctly. Treat it like raw food. Adulting is included in the recipe.

Once the base was stable, the add-ons got easier. We rotate simple things when they make sense: freeze-dried krill, sardines, shredded chicken, duck, organ blends, eggs, small amounts of tallow, olive oil, or coconut oil, and gut support like Gussy's Gut when Bentley seems to need it. The base is the base. The add-ons keep mealtime interesting without turning every bowl into a wellness influencer's mood board. Some days the best topper is no topper, which with an allergy dog is one of the truest things I have learned.

What Frida changed about my thinking

I want to come back to the cat, because after Milagro, I no longer believe cats should be footnotes. The dog usually gets all the airtime, and the cat ends up as an afterthought, which is exactly how cats end up sick. Frida came to this diet alongside Bentley, and the difference in her has been, honestly, the part that surprised me most. She is more active. Not cat active in the sense of staring at a wall for forty-five minutes and calling it a workout. Actually active. She moves through the house with intent. She plays past kittenhood the way cats are supposed to and so often do not, because we have collectively decided that lethargic is a personality trait instead of a symptom. She is more responsive. Brighter. More engaged. Her coat changed. Her weight stabilized exactly where it should be. Her stools, and I am sorry, this is the unglamorous part of the conversation, but it is the part that tells you the truth, became unremarkable. In feline nutrition, unremarkable is the highest possible compliment. Put that on a sympathy card.

Frida did not need a diet built for an allergic dog. She needed a diet built for a cat. And it turns out those two diets, when you strip away the marketing, have a lot in common: short ingredient lists, real protein, minimal processing, and no carbohydrate filler dressed up as nutrition. If you have a cat and you have never seen them on a species-appropriate diet, I will say it plainly.

You may not have met the whole cat yet.

You may have met the version the kibble industry produced, which is the cat equivalent of being on hold with customer service.

The costs, stated honestly

This is not cheap. Freeze-dried raw costs more per pound than kibble. Of course it does. You are paying for muscle meat, organ meat, and bone, freeze-dried instead of pressure-cooked into pellets bulked out with corn, wheat, soy, pea protein, or whatever the cheapest filler happens to be that quarter. Real food costs more than processed food, which is also true in the human aisle.

But here is what the cost conversation leaves out. Cheap food is only cheap until it stops working for the animal in front of you. Vet bills for chronic skin disease, ear infections, GI issues, urinary problems, and the long dreary tail of diet-related concerns can dwarf any savings you made on the bag. The cheaper choice becomes the expensive one, paid later, in the wrong currency, with interest. For us, the monthly cost of this food is still lower than what we were quietly spending on chronic allergy management, prescription diets, and repeated vet visits when Bentley was flaring. Honest math, not motivational math.

We have made mistakes along the way, and we will make more. Some foods sounded healthy and were not right for Bentley. With a stable base you can read the small signals faster, ask one honest question, what changed?, and move on without setting the whole kitchen on fire. Most dogs get a decade to the mid-teens. A cat might give you fifteen or twenty years if you are lucky. That is the window. Every meal is one small decision inside it. I know which one I can live with, and which one I cannot.

The part that matters most

Our dogs and cats do not get to stand in the kitchen and read labels. They do not Google why is my dog itchy after duck at eleven at night. They have us. That is the entire system. Milagro and Tristan got the best version of us we had at the time. We loved them well. We just did not know enough, soon enough, about the one decision we made for them every single day. Bentley and Frida are the version of us that learned. Each bowl a little closer to what they were actually built to eat. Each chapter a little more honest than the one before it. Not by spending the most or chasing the trendiest brand. By looking at the label, the sourcing, the company, and the animal in front of us, and choosing the closest thing to real food we can sustainably provide. That is the promise we made when we brought them home. Small. Daily. The one I can keep.

Practical notes, for anyone who wants them

The food: Midwest Legacy Beef freeze-dried raw is the foundation for both Bentley and Frida. Short ingredient list, published percentages, consistent product. Ten-plus months in, our vets are comfortable, our animals are thriving, and we are sticking with it.

Travel: We hike, camp, and stay in tiny homes. This food comes with us without coolers, ice, or a single anxious thought.

Reader discount: Use code TG10 for 10 percent off Midwest Legacy Beef. It works on one-time orders and subscriptions, every order, not just the first.

Disclosure: Midwest Legacy Beef gave us a reader discount code to share. We buy this food ourselves. Everything here is based on more than ten months of feeding it in our own home. FTC says I have to tell you. My conscience would have anyway.

Handling: Treat freeze-dried raw the way you would treat any raw meat. Clean bowls, clean hands, proper storage. Freeze-dried does not mean sterile.

Vet: Talk to your vet before changing any animal's diet, especially if they have an existing condition or are very young, very old, pregnant, nursing, or on medication.

What we actually feed and use, the whole list

This piece is about feeding raw and why we do it. Everything below is just what we use day to day for Bentley and Frida, almost always at the best price I could find online, so the list is as budget-friendly as I can make it. I may or may not write individual reviews for some of these. Until I do, here they are in one place.

Natural treats
All natural, no plastics, no silicone, and good for both digestive and dental health.

Dental
What we use to keep both Bentley's and Frida's teeth white and healthy.

Shampoo
All-around great shampoo, gentle enough for an allergy dog like Bentley.

Digestive health
Daily gut support, rotated as needed. Two products, two different jobs.

Eggs and protein toppers
Highly recommended. A small producer we have met in person. One jar of their freeze-dried fertilized eggs is the equivalent of about three dozen raw eggs, and a teaspoon over food has been Frida's favorite ritual for the better part of a year.

Senior support
This one will get its own product review soon, because everyone with a senior dog seven years or older should look into it for both their dogs and cats. We swear by it.

Cleanup
Big bag, eco-friendly.

Affiliate disclosure: Some of the links above are Amazon affiliate links. If you buy through them it costs you nothing extra and helps support this blog. We only link to products we actually use in our own home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a COA Should Actually Tell You

What a Certificate of Authenticity Should Actually Tell You A buyer’s guide to evaluating the document, the process behind it, and the right questions to ask before you buy. by Alejandro E Trimper Not long ago, in an essay on Collecting Keith Haring's subway drawings published in Incollect Magazine, I made what I thought was a passing observation: a Certificate of Authenticity should not be treated as proof simply because it uses the word  "certificate" . That sentence did quiet work in my inbox. Collectors wrote asking what their own certificates were actually worth. Dealers wrote asking where I drew the line between seller documentation and authentication. Galleries wrote about how often serious documentation gets reduced to a single piece of paper. New buyers, more than anyone, asked the simplest and most important question of all: how do I know what I am holding? I'll preface this by saying YES, I know some of this will be repetitive. It's not because I like ...

Three Chefs, One Night, No Encore: A Dinner at Platform

I Want To Tell You About A Dinner, by Alejandro E. Trimper I want to tell you about a dinner, but first I need to ruin the ending: you can't go to it. Not because it sold out, though it did. You can't go because it already happened, on Portugal's Independence Day, Wednesday, June 10th, 2026, and it will never happen again the way it did that night. Three chefs, one room at Platform by the James Beard Foundation inside Pier 57 , and then it was gone. I know how that sounds, bougie, entitled, and elitist, but it's really not. So stay with me, I'll make it worth your time. I'm no social media expert; I fumble my way through composing reels, but I set this whole night to music. If you want to see the faces, the dishes, and the chefs at work before you read another word, watch the reel here , then come back. The dinner actually started on Monday Let me be honest about my seat at all of this, because honesty is the only currency I deal in, and Chef Ant...

We Gave Away the Most Important Relationship, Our Clients

How galleries let third-party platforms become the room, the register, and sometimes the client, and why it is time to take the relationship back By Alejandro E. Trimper A friend recently asked what I meant when I said galleries had sold their souls to third-party platforms. Fair question. “Sold our souls” is the sort of phrase that sounds excellent over dinner and slightly unhinged the next morning. It conjures candles, contracts written in blood, and perhaps a junior associate from a private equity firm waiting in the hall. What I meant was much less theatrical and much more expensive. We, the gallery world as a collective, did not merely give away the client relationship. We paid for the privilege of having it taken from us. It didn’t happen all at once. We surrendered it one useful convenience at a time: inventory, images, descriptions, prices, inquiries, negotiations, payments, and every last bit of buyer data. Eventually, galleries were paying monthly fees and commissions to supp...